Wednesday, June 25, 2008

...follow the yellow brick road...


I have no clue how this all got started. That is what can be exciting about life. If we just look around for different forks in the road, tap into the courage and discover what is on the other side we shouldn't be disappointed. Sometimes I travel down a particular road and have no clue why and then an "ah-ha" moment appears or then again, maybe not, and I am left as clueless as before. At least I am a little more travelled. Always learning. Life has a lot to teach.
One of the forks in the road has been a writing workshop at Hospice that I signed up for during the month of May. I can't even remember what prompted it or why I even did it. I enjoy writing. I love to be surrounded by hurting people. An opportunity to have the two worlds collide. A fork in the road.
A hour and a half, for eight weeks I met at the Hospice office with eight strangers (well, 6- I knew two of them) and we wrote out our bleeding heart in AWA format/discussion. We laughed, we cried as each of us exposed a window to our soul through the powerful art of writing. A fork in the road I was so happy I took.
The instructor suddenly became this HUGE cheerleader for me. She believed in my writing. She listened to what I wrote. She responded. She told me to take baby steps to my dream. Just follow the forks in the road.
Now I am on a path of taking a summer seminar at HOPE college presented by Heather Sellers. I had no idea how I would be able to cough up the money but I knew I had to keep running the race. After many emails to the faculty at HOPE and my attempts to play the disability card, I ran into a dead end. That is until I received word that anonymous donor paid for me to attend the writing workshop.
I am humbled. I am forever grateful. I am intimidated.
I am going to be under the teaching of a dynamic professor.
Don't put a fork in me just yet...I don't think I'm done.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I can't wait to read some of your writing. Please keep me in the loop.
Sharon

Sharon said...

I can't wait to read some of your writing. Please keep me in the loop.
Sharon

tiffany marie said...

Ok, who was your FIRST CHEERLEADER... AHEM... WHO has been telling you for YEARS to write?

how quickly we forget...