Monday, December 31, 2007

Giving Thanks in 2008.






While millions are in time square watching the ball drop, one girl is stuck on her deck.
Let me back up:
I had a fabulous birthday. I can honestly say that. My mom and dad brought over omelets in the morning that we prepared in a Ziploc bag and Christy, Ken, Brecken, Kennedy, Laurie, Danika, Jagger, Kaia and TJ came over too. (the O's were in Florida)
After moms wonderful brownies and three cups of Louisiana coffee, the family left and my mom and I were on our way to purchase a sign for my house from Home & Company with gift certificates and birthday money. I have been eyeing this sign since the summer and knew it would make a great birthday celebration and a good reminder to bring in the new year as it reads, IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS.
Believe me, I needed this reminder shortly after I returned home from a dinner party tonight. I had left the gathering two hours before the end of 2007. On my drive home I was looking forward to soaking in my two man tub, getting in my PJ'S and falling asleep to the countdown of this past year in bed. It was while these thoughts stirring in my head, that I was in awe of the beauty of the freshly fallen snow and the way in which it engulfed the trees. As much as I complain about the winter and loathe being cold, I have to admit tonight was one of those nights that I feel bad for people who have never seen or heard winter. (yes, winter like tonight has a sound of peacefulness)
What better way to "freeze" the moment then to capture some photos...this is where it all began...an opportunity to choose 'thanks' over circumstances that would otherwise be extremely irritating.
I started snapping pictures in the front of my house as the thought occurred to me that it would be quite possible I could get stuck. No problem taking these photos from my snow covered driveway...my confidence grew. I entered the house and proceeded to the back door to let Delsie do her business one last time. I, again, was in awe of God's beauty and wanted a photo of D-dog in the white winter snow. It's at this time that it would be appropriate for me to tell you that the snow is wet and heavy- perfect for snowballs and snowman, not so good for girls in wheelchairs.
D took her spot on the corner of the deck and I put the chair in reverse, I heard the sound of tires spinning. I wasn't going anywhere. With the snow falling and temperatures dropping, Delsie gave up on me and retreated to her bed inside the house. (Did I mention the door to my house was wide open?) After what felt like hours but actually was 15 minutes, I realized this rocking business in high speed was getting me nowhere. I called friends that live nearby who came to my rescue...remember:IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS...

I'm off to take a bath and thank God for family, friends, wheelchairs and snow.
Happy 2008.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Holly! I will echo you: I am thankful to have a child who remains relatively upbeat even when her cough is hacking and her nose is running, and I am thankful for a warm house to be stuck in while she recovers. :)

tiffany marie said...

OKAY that is just hilarious...the part of getting stuck, only because you were able to get someone to come and help! It wouldn't have been so funny if you hadn't...
" help...help..," a little faint voice cried out into the dark winter night. I see a story here. :0
Glad your bday was great!

tiffany marie said...

Hey Everyone! the picture of Delsie on the wall in the FIRST picture... I TOOK THAT!

That was the day we met Mr...
"Heal her eyes Lord Jesus, Heal her eyes..."