Wednesday, June 20, 2007

choices.


I look at this photo and I realize I have choices. Life is full of them. I sometimes make dumb ones and sometimes the choices I make are wise. I KNOW when I make them-both of them- dumb and wise.
I had a choice when I put these feet on the ground this morning as I transferred into my wheelchair to either look forward to the day or dread it. Today I chose to look ahead to what the day entailed. (even though it was absolutely gorgeous outside and I wanted to make the choice to lay out all day)
I made a choice of the kind of deck I wanted and the way the ramp would be built on it. I wanted to shake my contractor and yell, "are you listening to me??!!!" But I chose to remain calm, cool and collected and insisted in different ways of communication that I wanted a saddle deck instead of redwood. Tomorrow I will see what choice he made. It better not have been the dumb one.
I had a choice to get my ugly toes painted in a french tip. (so glad we did it, T)
I have a choice to elevate my feet at night to avoid the water retention and looking nine months pregnant with no baby to show as a result of being in a wheelchair and enduring poor circulation.
I have a choice to go barefoot or cover my french tip pedicure with shoes. Lately, I have been choosing barefeet.
So, here's the real choice. A choice that PD made me aware of my junior year in undergrad- am I going to be bitter or better?
I KNOW when I am choosing one over the other.
These swollen, pedicured feet may never walk on my saddle deck but I have a choice to be bitter or better.
I am going to choose better- better because I am able to be barefoot ALL of the time! I go shopping, out to eat, go to work, go for a "walk"...barefoot!
This may seem silly to the average person, it may even be considered dumb. If you know me well enough, you know that one of dreams is to live on an island, with sand, pregnant in a white linen dress flapping in the breeze (sorry- that's a commercial for calvin klein-getting carried away) and never have to wear shoes!
God has a funny way of making our dreams come true. I am not living on an island, I am definetly not pregnant, and I don't own a white linen dress but I do have a choice to make the best out of this dang disability and look at this photo and KNOW that God is so wise and it would be dumb not to go barefoot- no one is going to make a girl in a wheelchair to put shoes on!
So yea, with the help of Beth Moore and friends...I CHOOSE JOY!
(now it's time to elevate these puffy things...)

3 comments:

tiffany marie said...

As I IM'd you... I like this blog... but I cannot get the picture of your TOES OUT OF MY HEAD! I close my eyes and see your toes... I open them and see your toes... But aside from the TOES... I am glad you are chosing Joy over bitterness... a great example and I'm taggin along right behind ya :) luv ya!

tiffany marie said...

Oh! I almost forgot... you know that TOE pic you have of mine.... LOL... now THAT one is stuck in my head! Great! Thanks! That was DDDDDDisgusting!

Unknown said...

"TOE PICK!"


...now I have that in my head.

thanks.