Sunday, February 17, 2008

...here she comes...

She made me do it. My friend, Lynne, emailed me with an idea. After falling out of my chair from laughter, a week later I applied for "Miss Wheelchair Michigan." No lie. There is such a thing and I actually agreed to send my application in for the pageant at Aquainis College next month.

I am whitening my teeth, wearing the tiarra (thanks, Schneids) and practicing the runway wave. Let me stress that this is not a beauty pageant but one that captures the importance of a platform and the advocacy of living with a disability.

This weekend Lynne took me shopping for the perfect outfit- she is having a hard time convincing me that a jogger suit is not appropriate.

It's an all day competition where I will be interviewed by a panel of judges for a total of twenty minutes. It concludes with a gala in which family and friends can attend a dinner while the contestants perform a two minute speech on their platform.

Am I really doing this?
The word pageant and wheelchair and ME in the same sentence.
Hilarious...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO hilarious! But you know it's in the bag, Holly, track suit or no. :)

~beck

Anonymous said...

I ALWAYS knew you were a diva :) GO get em' girl! Let me know if you need groupies in the crowd. Tami and I are awesome cheerers! Melissa :)

tiffany marie said...

Just remember to mention MY NAME! AND CREDIT YOUR EDITOR IN CHEIF!!!!!! Don't forget me on your way to the top little missy or I'll dish to the Sentinel... I WILL... I've got photos... have I got photos! muuuuuuaaaaahhhhhh

Beck said...

Whoa, Tiffany Marie... did you do it?! I saw the article this morning! You look beautiful, by the way. :) See you at church...

Ceci LaBarge said...

Hollyyyy,
I spent 20 minutes looking around for your blog the other day after I ran into you in Target...thanks for leaving a comment on mine so I could find you. I had to take the rugs back, they were like 3 inches high, the door didn't even open over em. Weird. So, rock it at Miss America this weekend. I'll interview you after the big win. We can give a shoutout to crabbypants in Target who made it a point to roll her eyes at your dog!
Hollah!