Sunday, July 1, 2007

no secrets.

It's no secret. I love Lowe's. I really enjoy spending my Fridays there. Yep, you read that right- every Friday (it's my day off) I leave the house about 10 AM just in time to order a breakfast burrito from McDonalds and if I feel like splurging, I order a small black coffee. A total of $2.22. I then make my way to my favorite strip mall in Holland. I start at Lowe's and end at Barnes-n-Noble. To some of you, this may sound rather boring or even a bit odd but I enjoy it. I look forward to it- actually.
This Friday morning I had my massage (that sounds snobby but I swear by it-not sure I could move my neck with out it) and headed off to begin my Friday ritual.
I guess my frequent visits do not go unnoticed as a Lowe's worker excitedly asked me how my remodel was going?! I was a bit perplexed but ventured down the hardware aisle to purchase a kick plate for my newly installed door. ( a "must-have" for those in a wheelchair who do their fair share of running into things.) I found what I wanted, a nickel finish for $6.48, started back down the aisle to look at their magazines for ideas for my bathroom. No sooner did I get past the door stoppers than a lady turned to me and asked me how I was doing. I was racking my brain while I replied "I am doing well, thank you. How are you?", to try to remember where I knew her. No luck. Hoping her reply would give me some sort of indication, she kept the conversaion going and started talking about how she needed to find a better chain to hang her flowering baskets because the one she had was to short and not allowing her flowers to grow. It was at this point, I glanced down at my attire to see if I resembled a Lowe's worker...no blue apron that said, "may I help you?". Apparently, on my forehead I had the sentence, "I am friendly. Talk to me." because this lady who I was certain I had never met before (she asked me what my dog's name was- had she known me she would have added "again?" to the end of that question) proceeded to ask me if I thought that would work and then inquired about what I was shopping for and what did I have on my lap. People, she was not a crazy lady. And in my profession, I encounter a lot of them!
I seriously think she was just trying to strike up conversation and take genuine interest in somebody else's life. I am embarrassed to say this is an odd thing for this area and it frustrates me that we (myself included) are to ourselves and mind our own business. I know we are more alike than we are different. I may not have to buy a chain for my hanging baskets but if I did, I hope that I can be like that lady and ask a stranger.

2 comments:

tiffany marie said...

There was this homeless lady in Target last week that kept following my mother and I around, and talking to us. She was absolutely HUGE, stomache almost down to her knees and she kept asking where things were, she was asking if we thought a pair of capris would fit her. I was like,,,, ummmm hmmmm.... (as my eyes darted around looking for the nearest exit) when i tried pointing her to the large ladies section... she wandered away from me and starting asking the security guard his opinion on what would look good on her... You get the friendly people, I get the coo coo for cocoa puffs people. LOL

tiffany marie said...

HEY THAT'S MEEEEE PUSHING YOUR BBQ!!!!!!!