Sunday, April 19, 2009

he's some dad...






We are all someones child. Facts like this one are simple yet universal. We all come from a mom and a dad. Stop and think about it. It's rather bizarre. And this "simple" fact makes us all quite complicated, suffice it to say, a bit messed up. No one is spared from this. It's true. All of us have a dad.

And my dad turned 70 yesterday. 7-0. Typing those numbers made me shudder a bit. 70 is old. But my dad isn't. He never will be.

Today we had a surprise party for him with our family at McDonalds playland. You would have thought he entered the gates of heaven when he opened the door to find us all adorned with party hats and blowers. I, personally, would describe this with another word that starts with "H" but it warmed this southern mans heart.

As I think on my circle of friends, I know part of their story includes their dad. Some died way too soon, some are making poor choices, some are rejecting them, some are loving them, some are just angry, some are fighting cancer, some are working a lot, some are married over and over, some are not even known and some just turned 70.

Happy Birthday, Dad.

You are loved.

5 comments:

Tami said...

Great Post! Love the picture of D with the hat!!

Anonymous said...

I second that. Great post. And Happy Birthday Rich. You are blessed to have your dad.
T

tiffany marie said...

Tell Regis I said HAPPY BDAY!

Matt Lipan said...

Happy Bday Mr. LeBlanc!!! Easily one of my favorite elementary school teachers of all time! i can still vividly remember, to this day, when your dad put me in my place (which i needed and totally deserved) by kicking me off the coveted 'Safety Patrol'. Even after doing that, i still thought he was money. so you know he is

Andy Gammons said...

I loved this post, Holly. It's good to be back on your blog again after a too long absence.

Andy